Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy your stay :]

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shatter Me

You know when a book looks really good: maybe the cover grabs you first, then you read the blurb and realize you HAVE to read this book. You're so excited. You wait for weeks for it to be released, you spend your hard-earned money on it, and . . . Image Detail
It's not that great.                                                                 

Welcome to Shatter Me.

It's not that it was terrible. It wasn't. It just wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be. For one thing, I didn't especially like either main characters. From the blurb I thought the book was going to focus of Juliette's power, and on her "fighting back." Girl power. Um, not so much.

The romance took hold maybe a quarter or a third of the way through, and the rest of the plot got set aside. All we hear about is touching and kissing and really? I'm all for some kissing, but that's not really as interesting as the whole touch-that-kills bit.

Then we come to the end. A few pages from the end, when I realized where it was going, I wanted to laugh out loud. This really is the sappiest ending of any dystopian novel I've read. It also felt way to much like X-Men.

It wasn't bad, though. Metaphors were over used, and in some cases the striked-out words were a little much, but over all the writing seemed strong. I really enjoyed the beginning, and the villain was excellently constructed. Actually, I think he was the best bad guy I've read in a while. The rest just didn't meet my expectations.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, bummer! I hate it when a book doesn't meet your expectations. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. But they make those books that exceed your expectations so much better. :]

    ReplyDelete