Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy your stay :]

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Knock knock

Okay, I thought this was just the funniest thing ever. Say it out loud to get the full effect:

***
Knock knock.

Who's there?

Little old lady.

Little old lady who?

I didn't know you could yodel!

***

Ha! Okay, so maybe I spend too much time babysitting children. But kids are pretty cool, you know? I love how seriously they take things. Last week the 6-year-old and I were watching an old fairy tale show while the others were taking a nap. At first I was kind of creeped out by the show - it was photography animation like Wallace and Gromit is, but the characters were all carved out of wood and the animation was not very smooth. After a while I decided it had a certain charm, and we settled in to watch.


One of the stories was King Midas. The 6-year-old was asking a million questions about how he was turning the food to gold, and what would happen if he couldn't eat, and so on. And then we get to the part where the king is going to put his arm around his daughter, and the 6-year-old gets this look on his face. His mouth falls open and he's staring transfixed at the screen, and I know that he can tell what's going to happen. He stops asking me questions and just watches. After the king touches his daughter the 6-year-old turns to me and whispers, in awe,  "He turned her into gold."

And the entire time I was thinking; I want to write a story like that.

That's pretty much the feeling I had the entire time I was reading Insurgent. It was the first book I read post-finals and I was craving something made-up after my grueling science tests. I was all curled up on the sofa, and I hadn't moved an inch since coming home. There were many parts that made me bite my lip or smile. And then there was this one part - it kills me that I can't be specific, but it would spoil it for you - I totally wasn't expecting, and I gasped. And then I kind of sat there staring at the page in shock for a moment.

Until I realized that my brother was laughing at me. "You're really tense," he commented. I tried to ignore him watching me and continue reading, but then it happened again a few pages later. This time I yelped.

After that my brother kept an eye on me, so he could laugh at my expressions. I'm so very glad I could amuse you, brother-o-mine.



What was the last book you read (or movie you watched) that made you gasp, yelp, laugh, cry, insert-emotion-here? Does your reading ever provide your friends and family with free entertainment? I'd love to hear your stories. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment